The position of linebacker has changed in recent years. No longer are the big and physical, step up and fill the off tackle hole are the qualities a linebacker needs. Maybe one “Mike,” but that is pretty much it. Run, run, and run. Re-direct or change of direction is huge. Height is not as important and strength and speed.
With that said, sometimes inside DB’s are recruited and will eventually move to OLB.
Prospects are randomly listed.
- Devin Hightower – Akron Hoban – 6’1-215. Runs well. Tough. Physical. Plays well in space. Finishes. Needs to get bigger/stronger faster. Needs to improve re-direct. Athletic. Michigan State
- Bangally Kamara – Cleveland Heights – 6’2-210. Runs well. Plays in space. Plays downhill. Excellent closing speed. Finishes. Needs to continue to get stronger and bigger, but he can run. Pittsburgh
- Daved Jones – Lakota West – 6’1-210. Like toughness to play inside. Will get bigger/stronger/faster. Like his athleticism. Finds to football. Cincinnati
- Torrance Davis – Cleveland Glenville – 6’2-220. Also an RB, but has the toughness. Plays downhill. Finishes tackles. Tough run support between the tackles. Needs to improve re-direct. Kentucky
- Deshawn Pace – Cincinnati Colerain – 6’3-205. A FS, but will grow into an OLB. Excellent athlete. Good hips. Aggressive. Good closing speed. Needs to add weight/strength, but can run. Cincinnati
- Jaden Rayford – Eastwood – 6’2-200. Former RB and may work at DB, but should end up at OLB. Frame to get bigger stronger. Natural instincts. Good burst. Like his toughness. Can play in space. Toledo
- Sawiaha Ellis – Fairfield – 6’2-220. Athletic. Plays TE, as well. Runs well. Good hips. Plays in space. Possible to either outside or inside. Could also come off the edge. Maybe TE. Like to see him at linebacker. Toledo
- James Phillips – Youngstown Ursuline – 6’2-230. Athletic. Also a receiver. Solid speed. Like his toughness. Could go to middle. Competes. Just scratching the surface. Western Michigan
- Jeff Pietrowski – Lakewood St Edwards – 6’1-235. Some like him at DE. Needs to continue to work on speed. Good initial quickness. Needs to improve closing speed. Needs to improve change of direction. A physical player. Hand may go down. Michigan State
- Juan Jarrett – Cincinnati Princeton – 6’2-205. Frame to add weight/strength. Needs to improve overall speed, but has a little burst. Will improve, but can change direction. Like his toughness. Plays in space. Tough off the edge. Kansas